Rights retained by journal authors
When the author signs the exclusive Licence to Publish for a journal article, he/she retains certain rights that may be exercised without reference to the RSC. He/she may:
- Reproduce/republish portions of the article (including the abstract)
- Photocopy the article and distribute such photocopies and distribute copies of the PDF of the article that the RSC makes available to the corresponding author of the article upon publication of the article for personal or professional use only, provided that any such copies are not offered for sale.
Persons who receive or access the PDF mentioned above must be notified that this may not be further made available or distributed.
- Adapt the article and reproduce adaptations of the article for any purpose other than the commercial exploitation of a work similar to the original
- Reproduce, perform, transmit and otherwise communicate the article to the public in spoken presentations (including those which are accompanied by visual material such as slides, overheads and computer projections)
The author(s) must submit a written request to the RSC for any other use than those specified above. All cases of republication/reproduction must be accompanied by an acknowledgement of first publication of the Work by the RSC. The acknowledgement depends on the journal in which the article was published.
- For New Journal of Chemistry the acknowledgement is:
- [Original citation] - Reproduced by permission of The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) on behalf of the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) and the RSC
- For PCCP the acknowledgement is:
- [Original citation] - Reproduced by permission of the PCCP Owner Societies
- For Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences the acknowledgement is:
- [Original citation] - Reproduced by permission of The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) on behalf of the European Society for Photobiology, the European Photochemistry Association, and RSC
- For all other journals the acknowledgement is:
- [Original citation] - Reproduced by permission of The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
The acknowledgement should also include a hyperlink to the article on the RSC website.
The author also has some rights concerning the deposition of the whole article, details of which are given on the Author Deposition pages.
Contact and Further Information
Publishing Contracts & Copyright Executive
Tel: +44(0) 1223 432 134