Undergraduate Research Bursaries
Our Undergraduate Research Bursary Scheme is currently closed for application.
We offer bursaries to fund undergraduate summer research placements in chemistry-related research areas.
These research bursaries are to fund short (6-8 weeks) summer research projects for undergraduate chemistry students in the middle years of their course within a university department working on an actual research project. The purpose of the awards is to give experience of research to undergraduates with research potential and to encourage them to consider a career in scientific research.
The bursary is worth £200 per week (£210 in London) for up to 8 weeks to cover a defined research placement.
- Only one application may be submitted per student.
- The student must be registered at a UK or Republic of Ireland institution (whether full-time or part-time) for the majority of an undergraduate degree in the chemical sciences.
- The supervisor must be conducting research in the chemical sciences at a UK or Republic of Ireland university, research institution or business.
- The student must be in the middle years of their first degree (ie year 2 of a 3-year degree or years 2-3 of a 4-year degree) at the time of application. Mature students are eligible to apply, but must not have a previous degree in any subject.
- The student must not be in receipt of financial support from other sources for the project which is the subject of application.
- The project must not count towards the student's academic credits, be used for expeditions or be conducted overseas for more than 50% of the project time.
- Strictly no more than four students from an individual institution will be funded. Applications from students applying to undertake research at an institution other than where they are studying constitute an application from the home institution, rather than the host.
A link to the application form is below, along with the Guidelines and Conditions of Award.
Complete our Research Bursary online application form.
Guidelines for the Undergraduate Bursary
Guidance on the application process and eligibility criteria for applications
Conditions of Award of Undergradute Bursary
Before applying, please read the conditions of award and final report requirements for applications
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader
Contact and Further Information
Tel: 01223 432276 or 01223 432350