How do I apply?
Step one – submit your application
You can apply before or after you have secured your teacher training place but we strongly recommend you submit your application as soon as possible.
Prior to applying, we recommend you read our advice to applicants.
Applicants will be required to complete our online application, and provide the following details:
- personal details including academic background, qualifications and contact details for two referees.
- a personal statement that demonstrates why you think you should be awarded a Royal Society of Chemistry Teacher Training Scholarship (1200 words max). Please give specific examples, and refer back to the what do we look for in candidates section, when writing your statement. You must cover:
- why you want to be a chemistry teacher
- what skills and experience you have that would make you an exceptional chemistry teacher
- what experience you have with school-age young people. Experience can be gained through employment, voluntary work or hobbies
- how you think the Royal Society of Chemistry scholarship will benefit you
- a chemistry knowledge test with 15 multiple choice questions. You must pass this test to be considered for an assessment day
- for applicants with an international degree, you will also need to upload documentary evidence from UK NARIC (National Recognition Information Centre) confirming the degree is comparable to a UK Bachelor's degree. Guidance is available in the Department for Education (DfE) Initial teacher training bursary guide.
The application process takes around 60–90 minutes to complete and can only be received through the online application form. Please do not submit your application via a paper copy or email.
Step two – attend an assessment day
Online applications will be shortlisted and successful candidates will be invited to attend one of our assessment days which will be held in London between January and August 2017.
The assessment days consist of:
- a one-hour individual interview
- a group exercise
- a chemistry knowledge test.
If you are successful in securing a scholarship, you will be notified as soon as possible after the assessment day.
To see what an assessment day is like, watch the following video.
Whether you’re applying for a Scholarship or a teacher training place, you’ll find helpful information in our advice to applicants.