Top of the bench
This national competition is for 14 –16 year old students studying chemistry. Royal Society of Chemistry Local Sections run heats during the autumn term to select a team to represent the section in the UK final the following year.
Heats take a variety of formats appropriate to the region. Local Sections are encouraged to allow as many schools as possible the opportunity to take part. Teams must consist of:
- two students from year 9 (in Scotland one from S2)
- one from Year 10 (in Scotland two from S3)
- one from Year 11 (in Scotland one from S4)
We organise the final to take part in the following spring. It includes:
- a short test of factual chemical knowledge
- a practical chemical problem solving team exercise
First prize is awarded to the best overall school performance, with five teams receiving runners up prizes. The Jacqui Clee Award is given to the student who has demonstrated an outstanding individual contribution to the day.
To find out more and apply to take part please contact your nearest Local Section Secretary.