A Future in Chemistry - Your career starts here

Teacher training routes in the UK

In the UK, the most common route into teaching is to complete a one-year Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course after an undergraduate degree.

There are many different types of Iinitial Teacher Training course, and different routes will be available depending on where you live.

In England and Wales, all training courses lead to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), which allows you to teach in state-maintained schools in those regions.

Postgraduate teacher training

University-led teacher Training

There are lots of different routes into teaching for graduates. You can choose a course that suits you, whether you want to spend time in a university, or want to be based in a school from day one.

One-year postgraduate qualifications, such as a PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate of Education) or PGDE (Postgraduate Diploma of Education, Scotland only) are a common route into teaching across the UK. In Scotland, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland you must complete a postgraduate course in order to become a teacher.

School-led teacher training

If you choose a school-led teacher training course, you’ll be selected by a school, or group of schools. You’ll be in school from day one, and most of your training will be based in that school. A lot of school-led courses also offer a postgraduate qualification.

Undergraduate teacher training

You can also train to be a teacher as part of an undergraduate degree. Normally this will be a 3-4 year course, and will involve studying a specialist subject (such as chemistry) at the same time.

Find out more about teacher training near you

Applying for Teacher Training

In England, Scotland and Wales you can apply for teacher training through UCAS, who provide information about the different routes into teaching and how the application process works. You can also search for courses across the UK. There are some teacher training routes which you can’t apply for through UCAS, such as Teach First.

In Northern Ireland, apply directly to the institution where you want to do your teacher training. Contact the university or college to find out more about courses and request application forms.

In Ireland, you can apply through the Postgraduate Applications Centre (PAC) for some courses, while for others you will need to apply directly to the institution. For undergraduate teacher training, apply via the Central Applications Office (CAO).

Funding for teacher training

The funding available to trainee teachers depends on where in the UK you live. Follow the links below to find out what is available in your area:

 There are also training scholarships of £25,000 provided to chemistry trainees from the Royal Society of Chemistry. Visit the Royal Society of Chemistry website to view the full eligibility criteria and to apply.