RSC - Advancing the Chemical Sciences


 

Dyson Perrins Laboratory


24th September 2004, University of Oxford 
 

The Royal Society of Chemistry Historic Chemical Landmark has been awarded to the renowned Dyson Perrins Laboratory for its nine decades of achievement in the field of organic chemistry. 

The plaque was presented to the university's Vice-Chancellor Sir Colin Lucas by RSC chief executive David Giachardi, who paid tribute to the peerless work of the laboratory which was funded in 1916 by profits from Worcestershire Sauce.

In a light-hearted gesture to remember Mr Dyson Perrins, the sauce heir who gave the money, David Giachardi joined Oxford's Chairman of Chemistry Professor Graham Richards in a Bloody Mary drink (an ingredient of which is the famed sauce) in the new 64.5 million laboratory opened this year by the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

Special lecturer at the event was Sir Jack Baldwin, regarded by some as the world's greatest organic chemist, who discussed the chemistry of creation and the new directions of the science in the 21st century which followed a History of the Dyson Perrins Laboratory presented by Dr John Jones. .

The plaque reads:

Dyson Perrins Laboratory 
University of Oxford 

This laboratory was a major centre 
for Organic Chemistry from 1916-2003 

It had only four Heads in that time, the 
Waynflete Professors WH Perkin Jnr, 
Sir Robert Robinson OM, Sir Ewart Jones, 
and Sir Jack Baldwin 

Sir Robert was awarded the 
Nobel Prize in 1947 for work done here 
on natural products 

24 September 2004

         David Giachardi presenting a plaque to Professor Graham Richards

David Giachardi presenting a plaque to Professor Graham Richards


Vice Chancellor Colin Lucas and David Giachardi

Vice Chancellor Colin Lucas and David Giachardi


Downloadable Files


PDF files require Link icon Adobe Acrobat Reader