Cookies by themselves cannot be used to identify you.
Several types of cookies are used on our websites:
These are temporary cookies that are saved on your computer or mobile device until you leave our website. They carry information across pages of our websites, for instance:
- remembering items in a shopping basket
- so you can remain logged in as you browse our web pages.
These cookies remain on your computer for much longer (though how long will depend on the lifetime of the specific cookie). They are used to:
- help us recognise you as a unique visitor (just a number) when you return to our website and allow us to tailor content based on your previous preferences
- compile anonymous, aggregated statistics that allow us improve the website.
- ensure you are not invited to complete website questionnaires too often or after you have already done so.
These cookies are produced by third party services we use to support your website experience. They are used to:
- serve advertisements on our sites and track whether these advertisements are clicked on by users;
- To control how often you are shown a particular advertisement;
- To tailor content to your preferences;
- To count the number of anonymous users of our sites;
- To provide security within shopping baskets, e.g. to pay for a membership subscription or a journal pay-per-view.