Rocks and soils
Type of Activity
For other resources by BBC Bitesize click here.
If you teach primary science, click the headings below to find out how to use this resource:
Children will develop their working scientifically skills by:
- Asking their own questions about scientific phenomena.
- Selecting and planning the most appropriate ways to answer science questions, including:
- Grouping and classifying things.
- Compare and group together different kinds of rocks on the basis of their appearance and simple physical properties.
Children will learn:
- That rocks can be grouped and classified according to their properties.
Suggested activity use
This activity can be a good independent activity to test children’s understanding about rocks and their properties. It would be best to use at the middle or towards the end of the teaching sequence, so that children have prior knowledge to draw on during the activity.
The activity is website based, so access to computers will be required. This activity works well when paired with a practical investigation.
Also, it is better to use the activity towards the end of a topic on rocks and soils.