From Learn Chemistry Wiki
- Main ChemSpider page
- Molecular formula: C6H7NO
- Molar mass: 109.126
- CAS Registry Number: 123-30-8
- Appearance: 4-Aminophenol, 98%; 4-Aminophenol, 98%; White crystalline solid, faint, sweet, somewhat balsamic and coumarin-like odour; White powder, leaflets, or crystals with a characteristic odor.; off-white crystals or powder
- Melting point: 187 to 190 °C
- Boiling point: 280 to 284 °C
- Solubility: Water, 6000 mg/L (25 deg C)
- Safety sheet: Not available
- Spectra: ChemSpider (IR), NMRShiftDB 13C NMR, Massbank MS (1, 2), also check on SDBS. Add Spectra (Help).
4-Aminophenol (or para-aminophenol or p-aminophenol) is the organic compound with the formula H2NC6H4OH. Typically available as a white powder, it is commonly used as a developer in black-and-white film, marketed under the name Rodinal.
Reflecting its slight hydrophilic character, the white powder is moderately soluble in alcohols and can be recrystallised from hot water. In the presence of base, it oxidizes readily. The N-methyl and N,N-dimethyl derivatives are of commercial value.
4-Aminophenol (IUPAC Name); 1-Amino-4-hydroxybenzene; 4-Amino-1-hydroxybenzene; 4-hydroxyaniline; p-aminophenol; 4-Amino-phenol; Rodinal
Please add any relevant references here.