From Learn Chemistry Wiki
- Main ChemSpider page
- Molecular formula: C3H7NO2
- Molar mass: 89.093
- CAS Registry Number: 302-72-7
- Appearance: DL-Alanine, 99%; DL-Alanine, 99%; white solid; White crystalline powder; odourless; white crystalline powder
- Melting point: 240 to 292 °C
- Boiling point: 212.9 °C
- Solubility: Water, 1.64e+005 mg/L (25 deg C), 1.66e+005 mg/L (25 deg C), 1.65e+005 mg/L (25 deg C), 1.64e+005 mg/L (25 deg C), 1.66e+005 mg/L (25 deg C), 1.65e+005 mg/L (25 deg C)
- Safety sheet: Not available
- Spectra: NMRShiftDB 13C NMR, Massbank MS (1, 2), also check on SDBS. Add Spectra (Help).
Alanine (abbreviated as Ala or A) is an α-amino acid with the chemical formula CH3CH(NH2)COOH. The L-isomer is one of the 20 amino acids encoded by the genetic code. Its codons are GCU, GCC, GCA, and GCG. It is classified as a non-polar amino acid. L-Alanine is second only to leucine in rate of occurrence, accounting for 7.8% of the primary structure in a sample of 1,150 proteins. D-Alanine occurs in bacterial cell walls and in some peptide antibiotics.
Alanine (IUPAC Name); (R,S)-Alanine; (RS)-2-Aminopropionsaeure; 2-aminopropanoic acid; 2-Aminopropionic Acid; DL-alanine; alpha-Aminopropanoic acid; Alpha-aminopropionic acid; d,l-alanine; DL-2-Aminopropanoic acid; DL-2-aminopropionic acid; DL-alpha-Alanine; DL-alpha-Aminopropionic acid; DL-Aminopropanoic acid; Methyl glycine; 2-Amino-propanoic acid
Please add any relevant references here.