From Learn Chemistry Wiki
- Main ChemSpider page
- Molecular formula: H4IN
- Molar mass: 140.911
- CAS Registry Number: Not available
- Appearance: Ammonium iodide, 98+%; Ammonium iodide, 99.999% (metals basis); Ammonium iodide, ACS, 99.0% min; Ammonium iodide, 98+%; Ammonium iodide, 99.999% (metals basis); Ammonium iodide, ACS, 99.0% min
- Melting point: 551
- Boiling point: Not available
- Solubility: Freely soluble in water, alcohol, glycerol, methanol
- Safety sheet: Not available
- Spectra: Check on SDBS. Add Spectra (Help).
Ammonium iodide is the chemical compound NH4I. It is used in photographic chemicals and some medications. It can be prepared by the action of hydroiodic acid on ammonia. It is easily soluble in water, from which it crystallizes in cubes. It is also soluble in ethanol. It gradually turns yellow on standing in moist air, owing to decomposition with liberation of iodine.
Ammonium iodide (IUPAC Name)
Please add any relevant references here.