From Learn Chemistry Wiki
- Main ChemSpider page
- Molecular formula: C14H10O2
- Molar mass: 210.228
- CAS Registry Number: 134-81-6
- Appearance: Benzil, 98%; Benzil, 98%; yellow crystals or powder
- Melting point: 94 to 96 °C
- Boiling point: 346 to 348
- Solubility: Not available
- Safety sheet: Not available
- Spectra: ChemSpider (IR), NMRShiftDB 13C NMR, also check on SDBS. Add Spectra (Help).
Benzil (systematically known as 1,2-diphenylethane-1,2-dione) is the organic compound with the formula (C6H5CO)2, generally abbreviated (PhCO)2. This yellow solid is one of the most common diketones. Its main use is as a photoinitiator in polymer chemistry.
Benzil (IUPAC Name); 1,2-diphenylethane-1,2-dione; 1,2-Diphenyl-1,2-ethanedione; Bibenzoyl; Dibenzoyl; Diphenyl-a,beta-diketone
Please add any relevant references here.