From Learn Chemistry Wiki
- Main ChemSpider page
- Molecular formula: C9H10O2
- Molar mass: 150.175
- CAS Registry Number: 93-89-0
- Appearance: Ethyl benzoate, 99%; Ethyl benzoate, 99%; colourless slightly oily liquid with a warm, heavy, floral-fruity odour; colourless liquid with an aromatic odour
- Melting point: -34 °C
- Boiling point: 212 to 213 °C
- Solubility: Water, 720 mg/L (25 deg C)
- Safety sheet: Not available
- Spectra: ChemSpider (IR, 1H NMR, 13C NMR), NMRShiftDB 13C NMR, Massbank MS (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18), also check on SDBS. Add Spectra (Help).
As with many volatile esters, ethyl benzoate has a pleasant odor described as sweet, wintergreen, fruity, medicinal, cherry, and grape. It is a component of some fragrances and artificial fruit flavors.
Ethyl benzoate (IUPAC Name); Ethyl ester benzoic acid
Please add any relevant references here.