From Learn Chemistry Wiki
- Main ChemSpider page
- Molecular formula: C6H14
- Molar mass: 86.175
- CAS Registry Number: Not available
- Appearance: 3-Methylpentane, 99+%; 3-Methylpentane, 99+%; colourless liquid
- Melting point: 63 °C
- Boiling point: 63 to 64
- Solubility: Water, 17.9 mg/L (25 deg C)
- Safety sheet: Not available
- Spectra: ChemSpider (IR), NMRShiftDB 13C NMR, also check on SDBS. Add Spectra (Help).
3-Methylpentane is a branched-chain alkane with the molecular formula C6H14. It is a structural isomer of hexane composed of a methyl group bonded to the third carbon atom in a pentane chain. It is of similar structure to the isomeric 2-methylpentane, which has the methyl group located on the second carbon of the pentane chain.
3-Methylpentane (IUPAC Name); Diethylmethylmethane; 3-Methyl-pentane
Please add any relevant references here.