From Learn Chemistry Wiki
- Main ChemSpider page
- Molecular formula: BrO3
- Molar mass: 127.903
- CAS Registry Number: Not available
- Appearance: Not available
- Melting point: Not available
- Boiling point: Not available
- Solubility: Not available
- Safety sheet: Not available
- Spectra: Check on SDBS. Add Spectra (Help).
- Br + O3 → BrO
Photoactivation (sunlight exposure) will encourage liquid or gaseous chlorine to generate bromate in bromide-containing water.
In laboratories bromates can be synthesized by dissolving Br2 in a concentrated solution of potassium hydroxide (KOH). The following reactions will take place (via the intermediate creation of hypobromite):
- Br2 + 2 OH− → Br + BrO + H2O
- 3 BrO → BrO + 2 Br
Bromate (IUPAC Name); bromic acid ion(1-)
Please add any relevant references here.