From Learn Chemistry Wiki
- Main ChemSpider page
- Molecular formula: C12H4Cl2F6N4OS
- Molar mass: 437.148
- CAS Registry Number: 120068-37-3
- Appearance: yellow powder
- Melting point: 196 to 202 °C
- Boiling point: Not available
- Solubility: Water, 1.9 mg/L (20 deg C)
- Safety sheet: Not available
- Spectra: Check on SDBS. Add Spectra (Help).
Fipronil is a broad spectrum insecticide that disrupts the insect central nervous system by blocking the passage of chloride ions through the GABA receptor and glutamate-gated chloride (GluCl) channels, components of the central nervous system. This causes hyperexcitation of contaminated insects' nerves and muscles. Specificity of fipronil on insects may come from a better efficacy on GABA receptor, but also because GluCl channels do not exist in mammals.
Please add any relevant references here.