Additions and corrections
Fluorescent indicators based on BODIPY
Noël Boens, Volker Leen and Wim Dehaen
Chem. Soc. Rev., 2012, 41, 1130–1172 (DOI: 10.1039/C1CS15132K) Amendment published 17th August 2012
It has come to the authors' attention that one of the references in this review (reference 23, Y.-W. Wang, A. B. Descalzo, Z. Shen, X.-Z. You and K. Rurack, Chem.–Eur. J., 2010, 16, 2887–2903) contained a wrong assignment of the azaBODIPY structure, the compound in fact being an isomer containing a "classic" BODIPY as has been clarified in a subsequent correction by the authors (see Y.-W. Wang, A. B. Descalzo, Z. Shen, X.-Z. You and K. Rurack, Chem.–Eur. J., 2012, 18, 7306–7309).
Therefore, the sentence "However, recent work by Rurack and coworkers shows that it is not always possible to generalize this design, because a 1,7-constrained aza-BODIPY dye failed to show bathochromically shifted spectra in comparison with its standard BODIPY counterpart" should be omitted from the end of Section 2.1. in this review.
In fact, the focus of the review was on BODIPY (4-bora-3a,4a-diaza-s-indacene) itself, and only a very limited amount of references to azaBODIPY (4-bora-3a,4a,8-triaza-s-indacene) were included, for reasons of comparison. For the readers interested in fluorescent indicators based on azaBODIPY, the following, non-exhaustive list of publications is provided.
1. X.-D. Jiang, J. Zhang, X. Shao and W. Zhao, Org. Biomol. Chem., 2012, 10, 1966.
2. H. Liu, J. Mack, Q. Guo, H. Lu, N. Kobayashi and Z. Shen, Chem. Commun., 2011, 47, 12092.
3. J. Murtagh, D. O. Frimannsson and D. F. O'Shea, Org. Lett., 2009, 11, 5386.
4. A. Palma, M. Tasior, D. O. Frimannsson, T. T. Vu, R. Méallet-Renault and D. F. O'Shea, Org. Lett., 2009, 11, 3638.
5. J. Killoran, S. O. McDonnell, J. F. Gallagher and D. F. O'Shea, New J. Chem., 2008, 32, 483.
6. S. O. McDonnell and D. F. O'Shea, Org. Lett., 2006, 8, 3493.
7. J. Killoran and D. F. O'Shea, Chem. Commun., 2006, 1503.
8. M. J. Hall, L. T. Allen and D. F. O'Shea, Org. Biomol. Chem., 2006, 4, 776.
The Royal Society of Chemistry apologises for this error and any consequent inconvenience to authors and readers.
Back to article