Analytical Division Strategy - Skills: Education and Skills
This area is being led by Professor John R Dean on behalf of the Analytical Division.
Other members of the group working on developing the profile of analytical chemistry include Dr Tony Bristow, Dr Sara Evans, Dr John Langley, Dr Mark Powell and Dr Clare Rawlinson Malone.
Current areas of involvement
- Directly contributing to the RSC Campaigning and Outreach programme. For example, by inspiring the next generation via the Schools’ Analyst Competition a regional and national competition for first year sixth form students studying AS level Chemistry or equivalent (ie Year 12).
The winner’s shield is presented to the winners of the National Final each year. The 2014 winning team came from Charterhouse School in Surrey and were one of the three schools representing the South East Region of the Analytical Division.
- Directly contributing to the RSC Membership and Professional Community. For example, by enhancing teaching and learning for schools, colleges and universities via Learn Chemistry
- Directly contributing to the RSC Membership and Qualification Board. For example, by membership of the Committee for Accreditation and Validation of chemistry degree programmes
- Directly contributing to the RSC Continuing Professional Development programme. For example, by approving, delivering and participation in training courses in analytical chemistry.
Other areas for future development
- By supporting industry. For example, supporting small companies via EnterprisePlus
- By contributing to school teacher training in analytical chemistry. For example, by working with regional Education Coordinators
- By supporting the personal and professional development of analytical chemists in collaboration with the AD Strategy Group devoted to CPD.
Outreach for Schools
Engaging school students with the chemical sciences
National competition run by the RSC's Analytical Division for first year sixth form students or equivalent.
Find out more about us and our members
Your single route to access hundreds of high quality chemistry resources
To agree with Council strategy and budgets for membership qualifications, admission and recruitment, advancement of professional practice, member networking and Benevolent Fund
To consider and advise Membership and Qualifications Board on the need for accreditation or validation of programmes of study.
Details of the CPD support for members
Supporting small companies in the chemical sciences
Contact a Regional Coordinator in your area to find out more about local RSC educational activities
Contact and Further Information
Professor John R. Dean CChem FRSC