Chemical Sciences Apprentice of the Year
The Chemical Sciences Apprentice of the Year award is given in recognition of outstanding contribution made by an apprentice working in the chemical sciences sector.
William Ashworth, AstraZeneca
- Runs annually
- The winner receives £1000
- The award winner will be chosen by an independent selection panel
Guidelines for nominators
This award is given to individuals that have been working as an apprentice in a technical support role, with a strong basis in chemical sciences, for at least one year. This will typically involve, but not exclusively, the planning and preparation of experiments, the preparation and management of chemical reagents/samples/analytes, or the management of chemical resources, such as instrumentation and its maintenance.
- Nominations open on 01 October and close on 15 January
- Both RSC members and non-members can nominate for this award
- Nominees may NOT nominate themselves
- The prize is open to nominees based in the UK or Republic of Ireland only
- Nominees should either be still completing their apprenticeship or have finished within the last 12 months on 31 January
To make a nomination please use our online awards nominations system. If you are an RSC member please make sure you have the membership number to hand before accessing the online system.
During the application process you will be asked to provide:
- One page supporting statement (up to 4500 characters, not including spaces) addressing the selection criteria below.
- One page CV for the nominee, which should include a summary of education and career.
- Names and contact details of two referees, who could provide a reference for the nominee. The referees do not have to be RSC members.
When nominating recent Prize or Award winners, please remember that a person cannot be rewarded twice for substantially the same body of work.
Selection Criteria for RSC Awards
Our selection committees base their evaluations primarily on the overall quality of relevant contributions made by nominees and not simply on quantitative measures.
The selection committee(s) will consider the following aspects of all nominations as appropriate:
- Professionalism - including reliability, organisational skills, accuracy, precision, consistency of approach and competency.
- Contribution - including role played in team and examples of team working.
- Achievement - including outstanding skills and expertise in the role, examples of inspiring colleagues, co-workers, students (at all levels) and similar.
- Development - including examples of personal development.
- Personal Attributes - including examples of enthusiasm about the subject and their role within it, communication skills, and, where appropriate, leadership skills.
Where appropriate, examples of how candidates have provided "inspirational", "innovative" and/or "creative" contributions and similar are encouraged.
Guidelines for Referees
- The awards system will contact referees to inform them that they must provide reports (of up to 4500 characters, not including spaces) by 31 January.
- We will contact nominators and referees of nominees with outstanding references after one week after close of nominations on 15 January once only.
- Referees must state their relationship (if any) with the nominee and note any conflicts of interest.
- Roy Sandbach, Newcastle University (Chair)
- Jacquin Wilford-Brown, AkzoNobel
- Mark Gronnow, Biorenewables Development Centre
- Keith Layden, Croda
- Christian Jones, Nanoform Finland Ltd
- Alexander Alanine, Nanna Therapeutics
Miss Holly Carter, AstraZeneca
Roxanne Wright, AstraZeneca
Adam Gymer, Pfizer
Chemical Sciences Apprentice of the Year Award 2014 Winner
Joseph Turton, The Food and Environment Research Agency
Submit your nomination
Submit your nomination online
Deadline for nominations is 15 January 2019. Your nomination can be saved and completed at any time.
External links will open in a new browser window
Contact and Further Information
Royal Society of Chemistry, Thomas Graham House, Cambridge Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WF
Tel: +44 (0)1223 420066