Analytical Biosciences Group
The Analytical Biosciences Group (ABG) is one of the many Interest Groups within the Royal Society of Chemistry, bringing together members with an interest in the use of analytical chemistry techniques in "bio" applications, and promoting the development and propagation of such techniques.
The ABG came into being in 1945 as the Biological Methods Group when it first became obvious that the properties of complex new pharmaceuticals, such as penicillins, could not be adequately characterised by traditional analytical chemistry alone. Thus it acted as an early forum for the development of bioassays for drug potency.
The field of analytical biosciences has expanded massively from these beginnings and the ABG has evolved to promote the development and application of a wide range of bioanalytical techniques.
The principal purpose of the ABG is to sponsor and organise events in the field of analytical biosciences in order to disseminate information and promote networking. The committee use RSC funds to sponsor conferences, seminars, training courses, etc. in relevant subject areas. Sometimes such events arise directly from ABG discussions but often the ABG will co-sponsor events already being planned by other parties providing financial support, publicity, and/or administrative input.
As well as carrying out activities directly supporting the ABG’s aims, together with the associated administrative tasks, committee members try to maintain good links with other groups and organisations which have complementary interests including other groups within the RSC.
For further information on how we can support you, please see our section on Awards and Sponsorship.
The Analytical Biosciences Group promotes its interests through various activities. Updates will appear below.
- January 2017: We have welcomed a new member to our committee – Dr Henry Day from Illumina
- December 2016: The ABG have finalised the list of keynote speakers for the early career researcher meeting. For further information, please go to ‘Forthcoming Events’
- 17th March 2016: The ABG sponsored a prize in the twitter RSC analytical poster competition – a fantastic way of seeing what research our members get up to!
- 16th – 17th March 2016: The 3rd Analytical Biosciences Early Career Researcher Meeting held at the University of Liverpool saw a great line up of talks, covering topics from forensics to archaeology.
- 10th July 2015: The ABG sponsored a poster prize at the CD summer school held at Warwick University
Connect with us
The ABG stays up to date with its members through its twitter page. Follow us using @RSC_ABG.
Alternatively, see the Activities section of our website.
Further information about the ABG bursaries and awards
Join this Interest Group
If you are a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry and would like to join an Interest Group, please contact Membership Department using the email link below with:
- your name
- your membership number
- state the name of the group you wish to join
Free membership of 3 Interest Groups is now included in the cost of RSC membership.
Annual Report 2015 - Analytical Biosciences
Download the full report here
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader
MyRSC Analytical Biosciences Group
You will be required to register for MyRSC, then you can sign up to become a member of this group
External links will open in a new browser window
Contact and Further Information
Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WF
Tel: +44 (0) 1223 432 141