The Law Group is one of the RSC's many Interest Groups. The Interest Groups are member driven groups which exist to benefit RSC members, and the wider chemical science community, in line with the RSC's strategy and charter.
The mission of the proposed Law Group is to encourage any individual having both a qualification as a legal practitioner or an interest in the law and a background or interest in chemistry to be involved with the activities of the RSC.
- To provide members of the Law Group and the RSC membership at large with high quality, inter-disciplinary programs, symposia, and publications in the above areas.
- To advise the Society on issues involving the interaction of chemical science and the law.
- To expose RSC members (chemical scientists, chemical engineers, and students) to alternative career opportunities which provide an interdisciplinary challenge, between chemical scientists and its application to areas of law, and between law and its applications to chemical science.
- To encourage networking, collaboration and the exchange of information amongst members of the Law Group and other relevant groups.
- Intellectual property
- Contract law
- Regulatory law
- Trade marks
- Employment agreements
- Professional ethics and liability
- Product liability
- Expert witnesses
- Chemical consulting
- Chemical health and safety
- Chemical information
- Forensic chemistry
- Food and drug law
- Administrative law and rule making
- Licensing and technology transfers
- Environmental safety
- Environmental litigation
- Designs (eg oil industry equipment)
- Confidential information/trade secrets
- Security issues (such as testing for explosives, a DNA database, chemical and nuclear weapons)
We are always looking for new members who are keen to get involved and to help organise our activities. If you would like to find out more please contact the Secretary.
How chemistry assists law enforcement
Join this Interest Group
If you are a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry and would like to join an Interest Group, please contact Membership Department using the email link below with:
- your name
- your membership number
- state the name of the group you wish to join
Free membership of 3 Interest Groups is now included in the cost of RSC membership.
Contact and further information for joining the group
Royal Society of Chemistry, Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge CB4 0WF
Tel: +44 (0) 1223 432141
Fax: + 44 (0) 1223 432359