The Photochemistry Group is one of the RSC's many Interest Groups. The Interest Groups are member driven groups which exist to benefit RSC members, and the wider chemical science community, in line with the RSC's strategy and charter.
AimTo promote photochemistry and to foster an interest in the subject in industry, academia and the public.
The traditional field of photochemistry is now the basis for diverse modern-day applications in areas such as solar energy conversion, electronics, sensors, nanotechnology, biology and medicine. The scope of the group’s interests reflects this diversity and includes:
• Fundamental photochemistry and photophysics of molecular and extended materials (e.g. photoluminescence, charge and energy transfer, photoreactions, photoswitching, photochromics)
• Photocatalysis, solar fuels and solar cells
• Photochemistry for medicine and biology (optical sensing, imaging, photodiagnostics and therapy, DNA, fluorescent proteins, photosynthesis)
• Spectroscopic techniques (ultrafast spectroscopy, pump probe and flash photolysis, fluorescence lifetime imaging, single molecule spectroscopy, optical tweezers)
• Theoretical photochemistry
• Photochemistry for devices (light-emitting diodes, photolithography, sensors)
Benefits of membership
• Keep up to date with national and international developments in Photochemistry and its related fields
• Annual newsletter
• Periodic e-alerts promoting upcoming events in Photochemistry.
• Bi-ennial photochemistry meeting in the UK/Ireland which gives early career researchers the opportunity to present their work alongside internationally renowned speakers.
• Student bursaries to aid attendance at meetings
Get InvolvedWe are always looking for new members who are keen to get involved and to help organise our activities. If you would like to find out more please contact the Secretary.
Join this Interest Group
If you are a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry and would like to join an Interest Group, please contact Membership Department using the email link below with:
- your name
- your membership number
- state the name of the group you wish to join
Photochemistry Group Newsletter - Autumn 2017
Download the full report
Annual Report 2016 - Photochemistry Group
Download the full report
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader
Contact and Further Information
Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WF
Tel: +44 (0) 1223 432 141