You will be invoiced following completion of the application form. See below for more information about:
Article processing charges (APCs)
Gold for Gold
Article processing charges (APCs)
The Royal Society of Chemistry supports a sustainable model for open access publication. APCs support this model by contributing to the costs of publishing open access articles.
Our APC is all inclusive, and:
- Makes your article freely available online, permanently;
- Includes your choice of Creative Commons licence (CC BY or CC BY-NC) at no extra cost;
- It is not a submission charge, so you only pay if your article is accepted for publication. There are no additional colour or page charges;
- The invoicing process is handled by administration staff who are not involved with the peer review or acceptance/rejection of your paper;
- Enables us to provide excellent service for authors, learn more about the benefits of publishing with us.
The APC required is dependent on the article type. We have three categories of article type.
||£1,000 (+VAT if applicable)
||£1,600 (+VAT if applicable)
||£2,500 (+VAT if applicable)
Apply for open access by payment of an APC.
- RSC Advances is a full open access journal and specific APCs apply; visit the journal information page for more information.
- If you would like to use an open access voucher code or institutional pre-pay scheme, please use the alternative voucher application form.
Please contact us if you are unsure of the correct article type.
We offer a variety of discounts on APCs. The following sections describe who is eligible and how you can claim a discount.
Members of the Royal Society of Chemistry
Please include your membership number in the online application form when requested to do so. We will then apply a 15% discount automatically. Find out more about how to join the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Members of journal owner societies
The Royal Society of Chemistry publishes some journals that are co-owned by other member societies. Members of these societies are eligible for a 15% discount on APCs for the relevant journal. A list of the eligible societies can be found on the following journal web pages.
Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences (PPS)
Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics (PCCP)
To claim the discount, please indicate your membership on the online application form when requested to do so. You may be asked to provide proof of membership.
We do not wish authors to be discriminated against if they are unable to pay article processing charges (APCs). Corresponding authors who are based in core offer countries classified as Group A and Group B by Research4Life are eligible to apply for a full APC waiver.
To apply for a waiver, please contact our open access team following acceptance of your manuscript. You will need to provide the following details:
- country of residence and affiliation of all authors
- location the research was conducted
- confirmation of all research grant funding received – this should include details of any funding body which has stipulated mandatory open access publication
The open access invoicing process is handled by administration staff who are not involved with the peer review or acceptance/rejection of the paper and information about how the publication charge is covered will be kept confidential.
Gold for Gold
Gold for Gold is a scheme that rewards all institutions that subscribe to RSC Gold with vouchers to make articles gold open access, free of charge.
Researchers based at institutions subscribing to RSC Gold can request a voucher from their librarian or open access contact to make an accepted paper open access. The process is straightforward, with articles being made open access as soon as an application and accompanying licence are received by our open access team.
Please note that our Gold for Gold pilot will come to an end in 2016; however we will still accept 2016 vouchers until 31 March 2017. Find out more information
How does the process work?
Your institution will nominate a representative to oversee the distribution of Gold for Gold vouchers. This is typically a librarian or someone within your department; you should contact this representative to obtain a voucher. Once a voucher has been provided, you will need to complete the short online application form which includes a choice of Creative Commons licence. Please note that your paper must have been accepted for publication in one of our journals before you submit your application.
What do I need to know?
One voucher can be used for one article (of any type).
Vouchers can be used only for articles accepted in the year stated on the voucher, and must be used by 31 March in the following year. For example, 2015 vouchers expire on 31 March 2016.
If your voucher is not valid for the article you would like to make open access you can pay an article processing charge.
Please note, RSC Advances is no longer part of the RSC Gold package, and therefore Gold for Gold vouchers are not valid for articles published in RSC Advances from Issue 1, 2017.
Apply for gold open access using a Gold for Gold voucher
Information for librarians
Some key points on the promotion and administration of the Gold for Gold scheme at your institution.
- Contact our Sales team for information on joining the Gold for Gold scheme.
- Promotional Gold for Gold material is available to promote the scheme in your library or department.
- We can provide a librarian’s licence to be signed by the Gold for Gold contact instead of the author if preferred and agreed.
- If you have used all of your vouchers you can buy further vouchers at a discount to the standard APC.
Find out more information on Gold for Gold