How does the RSC use your Data?
The RSC uses your personal data (e.g. name, address, email address, country of residence) to administer its activities, products, and services and to send information about them to you. The RSC may undertake communications on behalf of other organisations to selected contacts, customers, and members but only to those who have given their agreement to receiving such communications.
The Data We Collect about Users
The RSC logs the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your PC to be able to receive and send information on the Internet.
The RSC collects personal data when you register or update your personal details using online forms.
Inaccuracies and corrections
You can correct or update your personal data using the appropriate online form, by contacting the RSC using the email address on an online form, or if you are not sure whom to contact by emailing webmaster.
A cookie is a text-only string of information that a website transfers to the cookie file of the browser on your computer's hard disk so that the website can remember who you are. A cookie will typically contain the name of the domain from which the cookie has come, the "lifetime" of the cookie, and a value, usually a randomly generated unique number.
The RSC uses several types of cookie on its websites: Session Cookies are temporary cookies that remain in the cookie file of your browser until you leave the site,
- To allow you to carry information across pages of our site and avoid having to re-enter information;
- To allow you to maintain a shopping basket;
- Within registration to allow you to access stored information.
Persistent cookies remain in the cookie file of your browser for much longer (though how long will depend on the lifetime of the specific cookie).
- To help us recognise you as a unique visitor (just a number) when you return to our website and to allow us to tailor content or advertisements to match your preferred interests or to avoid showing you the same adverts repeatedly;
- To compile anonymous, aggregated statistics that allow us to understand how users use our site and to help us improve the structure of our website. We cannot identify you personally in this way;
- Within research surveys to ensure you are not invited to complete a questionnaire too often or after you have already done so.
Third-party cookies are used to control page content for a specific user:
- To serve advertisements on our sites and track whether these advertisements are clicked on by users;
- To control how often you are shown a particular advertisement;
- To tailor content to your preferences;
- To count the number of anonymous users of our sites;
- To provide security within shopping baskets, e.g. to pay for a membership subscription or a journal pay-per-view.
Disabling/Enabling Cookies. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying the settings in your browser. However, you may not be able to use all the interactive features of our site if cookies are disabled.
To find out how to disable/enable cookies, please consult the Help features of your browser.
Email communications are sent using secure technology that does not disclose your email address to any other recipient.
Disclosure of Personal Data
The RSC does not give or sell personal data about any of its contacts, collaborators, customers, or members to any individual or organisation unless they are involved in providing the RSC activities, products, or services. Such contractors are subject to a non-disclosure agreement and have to maintain the same security as does the RSC itself.
You can opt out of receiving information about any of these by changing your details using the appropriate online form or, if you are unsure, by contacting webmaster.
Changes to this policy
This policy is updated from time to time without notice. You may wish to bookmark this page for changes.
Any information submitted to MyRSC is securely held by Small World Lab in Austin, Texas, US. The RSC is the sole user of this information. For further information please see the small world labs privacy statement.
Signing up for our Feedburner Feed
Users who sign up for our Feedburner Feed through Feedburner are asked to provide information to Feedburner. This information is only available to us through Feedburner and is subject to Google's privacy policies (Feedburner is owned by Google). For further information please see the Google privacy statement.
Third Party Sites
The RSC links to other sites in order to provide you with additional useful information and services. Third party Internet sites and services accessible through the RSC have separate privacy and data collection practices, independent of us. The RSC has no responsibility or liability for these independent policies or actions. Please be careful and responsible whenever you're online. We encourage you to look for and review the privacy policies of any third-party site you visit and will, where possible, link to such policies on this page.