Exchange Fellowship Workshop
9-10 December 2013
Chicheley Hall, Milton Keynes
The Royal Society of Chemistry hosted a 2-day residential workshop bringing together current researchers across the life sciences (chemistry, biology, clinical) who shared their scientific expertise, knowledge of drug discovery, networks and skills.
While the primary focus of the event was to bring together life sciences researchers engaged in exchange fellowship schemes; drug discovery researchers who are collaborating across industry/academia interfaces and/or across discipline boundaries were also encouraged to apply.
This flagship event, run in partnership with the Biochemical Society and the British Pharmacological Society, is part of the suite of activities being led by the Drug Discovery Pathways Group - a partnership of Learned Societies (Royal Society of Chemistry, Society of Biology, British Pharmacological Society, Biochemical Society, Academy of Medical Sciences) working together to ensure the current and future generations of drug discovery scientists are appropriately equipped to thrive in the rapidly moving Pharmaceutical R&D sector.
A major focus of the workshop was a drug discovery challenge. The winning team was awarded a prize of £3000 and runners-up £1000.
Also attending the workshop were senior drug discovery experts drawn from major pharmaceutical companies who were on hand to provide mentorship as well outline opportunities for workshop participants to benefit from training programmes delivered within industry.
Additional features included:
- Talks by senior drug discovery experts about the importance of 'moving out of your comfort zone' to advance your research and career
- Speed networking session - a way of meeting all workshop attendees early
- Poster presentations - providing participants with the opportunity to showcase their research and identify future collaboration partners
- Seminars on emerging areas of drug discovery
Exchange fellows based in the UK and funded by the following schemes were eligible to attend this event.
- Impact Acceleration Account Doctoral Prize - EPSRC
- Knowledge Transfer Partnerships - Technology Strategy Board
- Marie Curie - Intra-European Fellowship for Career Development - European Commission- FP7
- Flexible Interchange Programme (FLIP) - BBSRC
- Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships & Postdoctoral Research Training Fellowships for Clinicians - Wellcome Trust
- Royal Society Industry Fellowship - Royal Society (and research councils)
- Industry Partnership Awards - MRC
- Clinician Scientist Fellows - Health Foundation/Academy of Medical Sciences, CRUK, MRC
The prizes were sponsored by the Royal Society of Chemistry and the Biochemical Journal.
The Group seeks to establish a networked community of skilled researchers to help revitalise the UK pharmaceutical sector
Overview of mobility
Read Margaret's story
A personal perspective on career mobility
Sam Butterworth - Lecturer in Medicinal Chemistry, University of Birmingham
Royal Society Industry Fellowships Scheme
Dr Donna Lammie, Senior Manager, Grants
Life Train - Driving lifelong learning for biomedical professionals
Mike Hardman - IMI EMTRAIN Coordinator
Summary of Exchange Schemes
last updated December 2013
Application form for training bursary
Download the terms and application form
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader
Contact and Further Information
Royal Society of Chemistry, Thomas Graham House, Cambridge Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WF
Tel: 07554 458148