The Historical Group is one of the RSC's many Interest Groups. The Interest Groups are member driven groups which exist to benefit RSC members, and the wider chemical science community, in line with the RSC's strategy and charter.
- The Group exists to encourage an interest in the history of chemistry and chemical industry among members of the RSC and others.
- The Group maintains contact with colleagues in the Historical Division of the History of the American Chemical Society and the European Association for Chemical and Molecular Science (EuCheMS).
- The Group holds twice yearly meetings when academic papers are presented and discussed.
- Summaries of papers read at these meetings are included in the Historical Group Newsletter along with reviews of recent books on the subject and news of other meetings and future events.
Historical Group Newsletters: 2010 - present
2015 - present
We are always looking for new members who are keen to get involved and to help organise our activities. If you would like to find out more please contact the Secretary.
Join this Interest Group
If you are a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry and would like to join an Interest Group, please contact Membership Department using the email link below with:
- your name
- your membership number
- state the name of the group you wish to join
Published Histories of British and Irish Chemitry Departments
Download the list of published histories of British and Irish university chemistry departments
Historical Group Annual Report 2016
Download the full report
Frank James - Final Online James Wheeler Lecture 12 October 2015
RSCHG Occasional Paper No. 8, published November 2016
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader
External links will open in a new browser window
Contact and Further Information
Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WF
Tel: +44 (0) 1223 432 141