Inclusion and Diversity Prize
The Inclusion and Diversity Prize is awarded to recognise an individual or team's contribution and impact in promoting and improving the accessibility, inclusivity and diversity of the chemical science community.
- Run biennially - OPEN for 2017 nominations
- The winner receives £5000, a medal and a certificate, to be presented at a Royal Society of Chemistry event
- Prize winners are chosen by the Inclusion and Diversity Awards Committee
Guidelines for Nominators
- Nominations open on 01 October
- Nominations close on 16 January
- Both RSC members and non-members can nominate for this prize
- Nominees may nominate themselves
- The prize is open to nominees based in the UK and internationally
- Both individuals and teams can be nominated
- There are no age restrictions associated with this prize
- When nominating previous RSC prize or award winners, please remember that a person cannot be awarded twice for substantially the same body of work
To make a nomination please use our online awards nominations system to submit the following:
- Your name, contact details and membership number, if applicable (please contact the RSC Membership team if you do not know your membership details)
- The nominee's name and contact details
- An up to date CV for the nominee (no longer than one A4 side, 11pt text) which should include their date of birth, summary of education and career, and website URL if relevant (not applicable for team nominations)
- A supporting statement (up to 4500 characters for individual nominations and 7500 for team nominations, not including spaces) addressing the selection criteria and including:
- An introduction to the nominee - describe the area or business in which they work and their/the team's role within the organisation
- A description of their contributions and evidence of impact. Testimonials may be useful supporting evidence but are not required (these can be emailed to the Awards email address at the bottom of the page - ensure to include your nomination number in the email)
- A short citation describing what the nominee should be awarded for. This must be no longer than 250 characters (not including spaces) and ideally no longer than one sentence
- The names and contact details of two referees. Please inform referees of the nomination as the awards system will contact them as soon as the application is submitted. For a team nomination, references should be for the team as a whole
- Referees must provide reports by 31 January
- We will contact nominators and referees of nominees with outstanding references one week after close of nominations on 16 January once only.
Selection Criteria for RSC Prizes
Our selection committees base their evaluations primarily on the overall quality of relevant contributions made by nominees and not simply on quantitative measures
The selection committee(s) will consider the following aspects of all nominations for the Inclusion and Diversity Prize as appropriate:
- Implementing initiatives to promote a more inclusive and diverse community
- Championing diversity through leadership and new policies and/or through research
- Extent of engagement with the intended audience
- Originality and innovation
- Impact (may be relevant to any audiences, including different age groups, career stages and sectors)
Guidelines for Referees
- The awards system will contact referees to inform them that they must provide reports by 31 January.
- We will contact nominators and referees of candidates with outstanding references after one week after close of nominations on 16 January once only.
- Referees must state their relationship (if any) with the candidate and note any conflicts of interest.
Inclusion & Diversity Awards Committee
- Professor Lesley Yellowlees, University of Edinburgh (Chair)
- Dr Kirsty Clode, Freelance consultant
- Dr Simon Grant, Thomas Swan Co. Ltd
- Dr Lindsay Harding, University of Huddersfield
Submit your nomination
Submit your nomination online
Deadline for nominations is 16 January 2017. Your nomination can be saved and completed at any time.
External links will open in a new browser window
Contact and Further Information
Royal Society of Chemistry, Thomas Graham House, Cambridge Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WF
Tel: +44 (0)1223 420066