Public Activities Small Grants Scheme
The Small Grants Scheme has funding available to support activities promoting the public awareness of chemistry and the chemical sciences.
The scheme is primarily aimed at RSC members and member groups to support public activities but other applications will be considered and supported, if appropriate.
There are two categories of grants available:
Small grants, up to £250 will be awarded to support activities requiring small amounts of money and that are not funded elsewhere in the RSC.
Large grants, between £500 and £5000 will normally be awarded to organisers of major events that support the development of activities to promote chemistry. A maximum of three large grants will be made in any calendar year.
Grants will be awarded for activities that promote the awareness of chemistry and the chemical sciences among public audiences e.g.
- Open Days
- Public lectures
- Performance of plays
- Activities in major science festivals
- Local or regional activities
Public may include one or more of the following:
- Rotary Clubs
- Women's Institutes
- Literary and Philosophical societies
- Other community organisations
- The general public in public venues e.g. shopping malls, stations, libraries etc.
Grants will not be awarded if:
- The event is related to school/college educational activities. Grants are available for novel educational activities from the Education Initiatives Fund. However, applications must be made through RSC Local Sections or Education Division Regions. (However, school/college events aimed at, and open to, the public and/or parents may qualify for the Small Grants.)
- The activity is accessible only to the chemically trained or chemically literate e.g. scientific posters.
- A grant was awarded for the same activity in the previous year.
How to apply for a grant
- For both categories of grant, please complete the Application Form at the bottom of this page sign and return it to the address on the form.
- [In urgent cases, email applications will be accepted, provided that this is confirmed by a signed copy of the form.]
- Please supply any appropriate documents that may assist the application.
- Applications are accepted all year round.
- Funds will be allocated on a first come, first served basis from January to December each year.
- The grants are overseen by the Committee for the Promotion of Chemistry to the Public (CPCP).
Conditions of grant
- In all cases the RSC must be acknowledged as a supporter of the funded activity by using the RSC logo or appropriate wording of acknowledgement. [A logo pack and guidelines will be provided on request.]
- A written report must be sent to the RSC after event as well as any press or publicity material relevant
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader
Contact and Further Information
External Promotion Manager
Royal Society of Chemistry, Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge CB4 0WF
Tel: +44 (0)1223 432266
Fax: +44 (0)1223 426594