RSC and The Wolfson Foundation Partnership
Reach and Teach
Reach and Teach will:
- Stretch more able students to reach their full potential, by enriching and enhancing their learning experience using innovative learning tools.
- Support teachers through broadening their knowledge base, enabling them to identify and nurture able students.
- Encourage more students to study chemistry in Higher Education.
Specific problems are encountered in chemistry in engaging, stretching and inspiring the brightest and the most talented students:
- Additional and alternative learning experiences that students can benefit from are required in chemistry. For example; independent learning, higher order thinking skills and sophisticated application of concepts.
- Insufficient specialist teachers or teachers without the confidence and enthusiasm to make chemistry exciting.
- Poor awareness of the vast array of career opportunities that are open to those who study chemistry.
These problems can contribute to students not feeling inspired and enthusiastic about chemistry and can ultimately lead to the most able students being put off studying the subject further.
The Reach and Teach programme will encourage interaction with over 3,500 teachers and over 22,000 students throughout the 3 year programme. Our ultimate aim is to nurture and encourage the growth and skills of young chemists to produce a new generation of enthusiastic and creative scientists ready to address the needs of society in the future.
The Wolfson Foundation
The Wolfson Foundation is a charity that awards grants to support excellence in the fields of science and medicine, health, education and the arts & humanities.
External links will open in a new browser window
Contact and Further Information
Head of Strategic & Commercial Partnerships
Royal Society of Chemistry, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London W1J 0BA
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7440 3316