These are just some of the ways we have financially helped members and their dependents:
- one-off grants towards redecoration and home adaptations
- regular monthly grants to help with essential livings costs and medical expenses
- one-off grants to support unexpected costs like a fridge freezer or car repair
- support with respite breaks for carers
To qualify for financial support you will need to meet our eligibility criteria. If you are uncertain if you are eligible please do contact us to discuss your situation.
All applications received are considered on an individual basis and support given is tailored to each individual’s circumstance, considering both financial and other possible support.
We are unable to fund items retrospectively so please get in touch to discuss your needs before making a purchase.
In addition, Breathing Space Grants are awarded to support recent graduates looking for their first job. A limited number are available each year so applicants are advised to contact us as soon as possible. Successful applicants could receive a grant of up to £300.
Am I eligible for financial support?
To be eligible for financial support:
- current members must normally have been in membership for at least three consecutive years (also includes spouse, children and other dependants)
- former members must normally have resigned (rather than letting their membership lapse) after completing 10 years of membership (also includes spouse, children and other dependants)
- a spouse, children and other dependants of a deceased member can apply irrespective of membership length.
Breathing space grants
Members may be eligible for Breathing Space Grants after at least two years of membership and after completing all planned study (and within 18 months of that completed study).
To be eligible you must be seeking, or have secured, paid employment, and other financial and household circumstances will be considered as part of the application.
The application process
This is strictly confidential and supported by a small, dedicated Benevolent Fund team. Please contact us to discuss your situation, and our specialist advisor will then send you an application form.
As part of assessing and supporting your application, we will ask that all sources of relevant state benefits have been explored. We may also be able to help you to identify other avenues of potential support.
The application form will ask you for information on your personal and financial circumstances. If you need help in completing the application form please contact us. Applications for support can be made by post or electronically.
Our advisor will review your application to ensure that we have all the relevant information for your case, and as a final check for eligibility. It will then be presented to the Benevolent Funds Grants Committee which meets four times a year.
If the request for financial support is urgent, the Committee can sometimes consider requests outside of Committee meetings.