Chemistry World Entrepreneur of the Year
This award is given to individuals who demonstrated creativity and vision, driving chemistry innovation to commercial success for their business.
This Award was not awarded for 2019.
- Runs annually
- The award winner will be featured in Chemistry World, the Royal Society of Chemistry's flagship magazine (circulation 49,000+ copies in print)
- The award winner will be chosen by an independent selection panel
Guidelines for nominators
- Nominations open on 01 October and close on 15 January
- Both RSC members and non-members can nominate for this award
- Nominees may nominate themselves
- The award is open to nominees based in the UK and internationally
- Individuals working in chemical science industry or academia can be nominated
To make a nomination please use our online awards nominations system. If you are an RSC member please make sure you have the membership number to hand before accessing the online system.
During the application process you will be asked to provide:
- A supporting statement (up to 4500 characters, not including spaces) including:
- Introduction of entrepreneur and the business - describe the business and the nominee's current position and responsibilities in the business.
- Success and challenges to date - describe the entrepreneurial story, including the risks, obstacles overcome.
- Innovation and creativity - describe the products and services which differentiate the business from competitors.
- Growth potential and financial performance - describe succinctly the growth strategy and whether the business generated any revenue or profit in the last three years
- One page CV of the nominee, which should include a summary of education and career.
There is no requirement for detailed technical or commercial data. Sufficient information to enable the assessors to compare submissions that are likely to be vastly different from each other.
When nominating recent Prize or Award winners, please remember that a person cannot be rewarded twice for substantially the same body of work.
Selection Criteria for RSC Awards
Our selection committees base their evaluations primarily on the overall quality of relevant contributions made by nominees and not simply on quantitative measures.
The selection committee(s) will consider the following aspects of all nominations as appropriate:
- Applicants should have established or contributed to the growth of a chemical science business
- Should demonstrate innovation and have clear indications of commercial promise and impact
- Brought new products to market within the last three years
- Have evidence of established market share and revenue earned within the last three years
- Showed resilience
- Roy Sandbach, Newcastle University (Chair)
- Jacquin Wilford-Brown, AkzoNobel
- Mark Gronnow, Biorenewables Development Centre
- Keith Layden, Croda
- Christian Jones, Nanoform Finland Ltd
- Alexander Alanine, Nanna Therapeutics
Andrew Hopkins, Exscientia Ltd
Simon Hirst, Sygnature Discovery
Dr Ray Fisher, Peakdale Molecular
Submit your nomination
Submit your nomination online
Deadline for nominations is 15 January 2019. Your nomination can be saved and completed at any time.
External links will open in a new browser window
Contact and Further Information
Royal Society of Chemistry, Thomas Graham House, Cambridge Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WF
Tel: +44 (0)1223 420066