How we can support you
You may find it beneficial to have a mentor for your academic career; our mentoring programme can help you find one, or ask at your institution.
Connect with others in your local area, through your scientific interests and through online events.
The Joliot-Curie Programme is aimed at helping PhD students and postdoctoral researchers in academia who aspire to establish an independent career in research. Previous webinars are able on our YouTube channel:
- Presenting Your Research; a how to webinar with Dr Petra Cameron MRSC, Senior Lecturer, University of Bath Dr Danila Gasperini AMRSC, Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Bath
- The academic workplace culture with Professor Tom Welton OBE CChem FRSC, Imperial College London, President, Royal Society of Chemistry and Dr Laura Norton, Senior Programme Manager, Inclusion and Diversity, Royal Society of Chemistry
- How can international experience help my academic career with Dr Asel Sartbaeva MRSC, Royal Society Research Fellow, University of Bath and Stuart Govan, Programme Manager, International Engagement, Royal Society of Chemistry
- Essential skills for academic researchers, how to identify them, what are the most valued in academic recruitment, what are transferable skills and how to take control of your professional development.
- Multilple Pathways to Success. Professor David Smith FRSC (University of York) and Dr Asel Sartbaeva MRSC (University of Bath) talk about the different routes into academic careers and the challenges of maintaining an academic career.
- How to Stand Out. Understand how to get your work published and what how to raise your profile.
- Funding Your Research. Dr Cecilia Fenech-Brincat MRSC (Cranfield University) and Dr Hazel Phillips CChem MRSC (University of Bristol) discuss the various sources of funding for research and what they look for in research proposals to give you the inside track.
- Women in Academic Leadership. Professor Alison Rodger CChem FRSC, MacQuarie University, Australia and Professor Lesley Yellowlees CBE HonFRSC , University of Edinburgh share their stories and practical tips on what aspiring female academics can do to help themselves.
To find out about upcoming webinars and events please visit our Events pages.
For more in-depth support for your academic research career – from finding a first post-doctoral position through to writing research proposals, or transitioning between academic and industrial research, or vice versa – contact our career management team.