Mentoring is valuable to both mentees and mentors.
Mentors find the experience of helping another member rewarding as they help them to grow and 'address their own challenges, considering their relationships at work and thinking of the future'.
Associate members (AMRSC), Members (MRSC) and Fellows (FRSC), as well as anyone with RSciTech or RSci status, have the chance to become a mentee, working alongside an experienced mentor in their field. In addition, Members (MRSC) and Fellows (FRSC) have the opportunity to become a mentor, helping others take their professional development further.
Winner ‘New product development – Member Benefit’ at the 2016 MemCom awards
Finalist 'National Mentoring Programme of Year' National Mentoring Awards 2019
What are the benefits of mentoring?
Being mentored has helped our mentees to:
- achieve greater clarity around their career goals and how to achieve them
- learn more about themselves
- gain greater self-confidence and self-belief
- pursue personal and professional development and practical learning
- improve relationships with their colleagues and their performance in their current role.
"It’s a great service and the mentor match you have made for me is perfect for my professional needs at this point in time.
The mentoring process
Each mentee and mentor fill out an initial questionnaire. This allows the mentee to reflect on what they would like to achieve through mentoring and helps us evaluate the mentor’s experience and values
- We provide face-to-face and remote training for mentors and webinars and telephone briefing sessions for mentees. This is to ensure you are fully prepared for the mentoring relationship and that you are comfortable with what our mentoring service involves. The training has been very well received and all mentors felt it provided them with enough tools and skills to mentor effectively, with one commenting it was very useful, particularly to ensure that the mentors are all 'normed' on expectations
- We match you with an appropriate mentor/mentee as soon as we are able, which will be based upon the responses in the initial questionnaire. Please be aware that while we will do our best to find a match for you, we cannot guarantee one.
- You meet your mentor/mentee and get started.
How to get involved
Find out more about the programme, how to register your interest and details of training dates by logging into the member-only area.
Our 2023 mentoring training sessions are scheduled to take place on:
|Event||Date and Time|
|Mentoring Training 2023 (remote)||20 June 9.00 am|
|Mentoring Training 2023 (remote)||14 August 11.00 am|
|Mentoring Training 2023 (remote)||31 October 11.00 am|
NB: This event is for RSC Members only
- Send us an email
- +44 (0) 1223 432141
- Send us an email