Library opening hours are 11:00 to 4:30, Monday to Friday.
Members must book in advance to use the Library using our online booking system.
Please refer to the information below the Library Calendar before booking your appointment.
To make a booking:
- Select the Booking Type by clicking the appropriate link in the calendar
- Select the date, then time and click ‘Confirm’ (note: the time displayed is the time the Library opens, not the time you’re expected to arrive)
- Complete your details then click ‘Schedule Event’
- If you don’t receive your booking confirmation, check your junk / spam folder
- Members’ Room & Library: Full access to the Members' Computer Room and the collections in the Reading Room, Galleries and Café Area between 11:00 and 4:30
- Library Access Only: Access to the Reading Room, Galleries and Café Area between 11:00 and 4:30. This booking does not give access to the computers in the Members' Room
- Members’ Room (Library Closed): Access to the Members’ Computer Room between 11:00 and 4:30 when the Library is closed for an event; there is no access to the collections in the Reading Room, Galleries or Café Area
Note: For those bookings including access to the Reading Room & Galleries, last minute changes to availability may occur; we will contact anyone with a booking as soon as we know of any change to make alternative arrangements.
Note: Copying is available but we're currently unable to provide the facility to print from the Members' computers. This should be rectified soon, apologies in advance for any inconvenience.
Things to consider when booking your visit:
- Member access only: Each member must make their own booking, appointments are for the member named in the booking only (no guests)
- Library staff available: Most Library services are self-sufficient but if you need to see the Librarian in person, please ensure your booking is for a day when they are listed as ‘On site’. When they are listed as available ‘Remotely’, they can only be contacted by phoning 0207 440 3373 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advance requests: Items accessible only by the Librarian (or all items when the Library is closed for an event); refer to the Journal Locator (PDF) to find which journals must be requested in advance. Ensure you have made the request by the deadline of your visit as shown in the Library Calendar
- Historical items: To view any items from the Historical Collection (mainly those listed in the Library Catalogue as ‘Location: Hinshelwood Room’), the Librarian will need to be ‘On site’ on the day of your visit
To drop off a book loan, without accessing the Library, you may do so between 11:00 and 4:00 without making an appointment.
To take an item out on loan when in the Library, you can use our Self-Checkout system; full details on how to use this are on display in the Members’ Room and on the Library Catalogue (Self-Checkout Guide).
M25 Cards (Access25)
Applications for M25 Cards are only accepted by e-mail or post. Please print, complete and scan/post the application form from the Access25 site to the Library, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London W1J 0BA.
Covid Secure Measures
We place the utmost importance on the safety and well-being of all those who visit Burlington House and, although there are no longer any legal restrictions in place, we are still observing some COVID secure measures.
On arrival at Burlington House:
- Please ensure you have a suitable face mask or covering, you may be required to wear it upon arrival and when moving around the building
- Please read any information on entry then follow the instructions and guidelines
- We invite you to ‘Check in’ using the NHS QR Code and NHS COVID-19 app (other check-in methods available)
Additionally, we have:
- introduced additional and regular cleaning of the computer equipment, handrails, door handles, doorplates, tables and chairs, toilets etc.
- provided hygiene stations & hand sanitiser dispensers around the building
We ask that you do not visit and that you follow the Government guidance for self-isolating if you have any of the symptoms of COVID-19:
- a new persistent cough
- a temperature of 38 degrees or above
- loss of taste or smell
Or if you are:
- required to quarantine for 10 days due to international travel restrictions
- awaiting a coronavirus test result
- contacted by test and trace and asked to self-isolate