Opening hours are 9:30 to 4:30 (last entry at 4:00), Monday to Friday.
Visits are by appointment only; please refer to the information below the Library Calendar before booking.
To make a booking:
- Select the Booking Type by clicking the appropriate link in the Library Calendar
- Select the date, then time and click ‘Confirm’ (the time displayed is the time the Library opens, not the time you’re expected to arrive)
- Complete your details then click ‘Schedule Event’
- Computer Room & Library: Use of the Computer Room and main Library
- Library Access Only: Use of the main Library only. This booking does not give access to the Computer Room
- Computer Room (Library Closed): Use of the Computer Room only. Due to an event booking, there will be no access to the main Library
Things to consider when booking your visit:
- Member access only: Appointments are for the member named in the booking only (no guests)
- Library staff available: Most Library services are self-service but if you need to see the Librarian in person, please ensure your booking is for a day when they are listed as ‘On site’. When they are listed as available ‘Remotely’, they can be contacted by phoning 0207 440 3373 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advance requests: Items accessible only by the Librarian (or all items when the Library is closed for an event) must be requested in advance of your visit; refer to the Journal Locator (PDF) to find which journals must be requested in advance. Ensure you have made the request by the deadline of your visit as shown in the Library Calendar
- Historical items: To view any items from the Historical Collection, the Librarian will need to be ‘On site’ on the day of your visit
- Last minute changes: Should any changes occur to the schedule at short notice, we will contact anyone with a booking that includes access to the main library as soon as possible to make alternative arrangements
Book Loans (On Site)
View the full loan terms
Borrowing: Use our Self-Checkout system from a computer if you have a booking for the Members' Room, or from your mobile device if you have a booking for the Library only. Details on how to use this are on display in the Members’ Room and on the Library Catalogue (Self-Checkout Guide).
Returns: To drop off a book loan you may do so between 10:00 and 4:00 without making an appointment if you don't require other Library services.
Book Loans (From Home)
Borrowing: E-mail your RSC number and address along with the details of your loan request/s (Title, Item ID as found on the Library Catalogue) to email@example.com (we pay the postage to you).
Returns: Post the item/s back to: Library, Royal Society of Chemistry, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London W1J 0BA (you pay the postage to us).
M25 Cards (Access25)
Applications for M25 Cards are only accepted by e-mail or post. Please print, complete and scan/post the application form from the Access25 site to the Library, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London W1J 0BA.