Mentoring is valuable to both mentees and mentors.
Mentors find the experience of helping another member rewarding as they help them to grow and 'address their own challenges, considering their relationships at work and thinking of the future'.
Winner ‘New product development – Member Benefit’ at the 2016 MemCom awards
What are the benefits of mentoring?
Being mentored has helped our mentees to:
- achieve greater clarity around their career goals and how to achieve them
- learn more about themselves
- gain greater self-confidence and self-belief
- pursue personal and professional development and practical learning
- improve relationships with their colleagues and their performance in their current role.
One mentee described how having a mentor has given him the opportunity to think about his career:
It’s always useful to think about my goals and setting myself objectives. 'Everyday life' often prevents me from doing this and so this has given me an opportunity to do so.