Photophysics and Photochemistry Group
The Photophysics and Photochemistry Group is one of the RSC's many Interest Groups. The Interest Groups are member driven groups which exist to benefit RSC members, and the wider chemical science community, in line with the RSC's strategy and charter.
AimTo promote photophysics and photochemistry and to foster an interest in the subject in industry, academia and the public.
The traditional fields of photophysics and photochemistry are now the basis for diverse modern-day applications in areas such as solar energy conversion, electronics, sensors, nanotechnology, biology and medicine. The scope of the group’s interests reflects this diversity and includes:
- Fundamental photochemistry and photophysics of molecular and extended materials (e.g. photoluminescence, charge and energy transfer, photoreactions, photoswitching, photochromics)
- Photocatalysis, solar fuels and solar cells
- Photochemistry for medicine and biology (optical sensing, imaging, photodiagnostics and therapy, DNA, fluorescent proteins, photosynthesis)
- Spectroscopic techniques (ultrafast spectroscopy, pump probe and flash photolysis, fluorescence lifetime imaging, single molecule spectroscopy, optical tweezers)
- Theoretical photochemistry
- Photochemistry for devices (light-emitting diodes, photolithography, sensors)
The Group organises a number of events each year, many of which are targeted at Early Career Members. You can see all of our upcoming events using the Forthcoming Events link on the left of this page.
Benefits of membership
• Keep up to date with national and international developments in photophysics and photochemistry and its related fields
• Annual newsletter
• Periodic e-alerts promoting upcoming events in photophysics and photochemistry.
• Bi-ennial photochemistry meeting in the UK/Ireland which gives early career researchers the opportunity to present their work alongside internationally renowned speakers.
• Student bursaries to aid attendance at meetings
Get InvolvedWe are always looking for new members who are keen to get involved and to help organise our activities. If you would like to find out more please contact the Secretary.
Join this Interest Group
If you are a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry and would like to join an Interest Group, please contact Membership Department using the email link below with:
- your name
- your membership number
- state the name of the group you wish to join
Photophysics and Photochemistry Group Newsletter - Summer 2018
Download the newsletter
Photochemistry Group Newsletter - Autumn 2017
Download the newsletter
Annual Report 2018
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader
Contact and Further Information
Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WF
Tel: +44 (0) 1223 432 141