Harold Fielding was born in Liverpool and gained his Ph.D. from Liverpool University in 1957, after which he joined the R&D department of ICI at Runcorn Heath where he would spend his whole career. He retired in 1991.
Harold was a member of the RSC and joined the RSC North West Industrial Division (NWID) committee, becoming its Chairman in 1989 succeeding David Karsa until 1991 when he was succeeded in turn by Alan James. During Harold's term of office, he was actively involved in the RSC Sesquicentennial activities in the NW including the supporting of the vital restoration of John Dalton's Papers at the John Rylands Library at Manchester University, and also the related John Dalton Exhibition in Manchester. It was during his Chairmanship that the NWID launched the North West Chemistry News (NWCN).
When in 1995 the RSC restructured away from geographic regions, and the Speciality Chemicals Sector group was formed, the RSC North West Trust was set up as a grant giving organisation to disperse the accumulated surplus of the NWID and surpluses from its legacy events of Chemistry in the Oil Industry and ChemSource, and to continue the NWID’s production of the twice-yearly NWCN.