History of the prize
First awarded in 1957 by the Faraday Society, this prize commemorates the chemist and patent lawyer George Stanley Withers Marlow.
Born in 1889, Marlow's education began at New College School, Oxford, and Rutlish Science School, Merton. In 1906 he embarked upon his BSc degree in Chemistry at King's College London, graduating with honours in 1909. The following year he became an associate of the Institute of Chemistry, with a focus on food and drugs. Meanwhile he worked as assistant to the public analyst Mr Edward Hinks, joining the staff of the Government Chemist in 1911. From 1915 to 1919, Marlow was in charge of the army service corps reserve depot in Dartford.
In 1919, Marlow became assistant secretary of the Royal Institute of Chemistry, a post he held for six years. During this time he became a member of Gray's Inn, was called to the Bar in 1923 and became pupil to Mr W Trevor Watson, K.C. However, he did not start practising until four years later and in 1925 became the assistant of the General Manager of the Association of British Chemical Manufacturers, Mr Woolcock. Later in life Marlow developed a substantial technical legal practice and acted in cases of chemical patents, for example in the case Boots Cash Chemists ltd vs. Sharp and Dohme.
1913 saw Marlow's election as a Fellow of the Institute of Chemistry. He was secretary of the Faraday Society in 1926 until his death in 1948.