The Lord Lewis Prize was established in 2008 thanks to a generous donation from Johnson Matthey, and marks the significant contributions of Professor Lord Lewis to both chemistry and the advancement of science policy.
Lord Lewis's academic career began at the University of London where he gained his BSc, followed by the completion of a PhD at the University of Nottingham. His lecturing career commenced with appointment as a lecturer at Sheffield University (1954-56), continuing at Imperial College London (1957-61) and then reader and lecturer at UCL (1957-61). Professorships in Chemistry followed at the University of Manchester, UCL and the University of Cambridge, where he also became the first warden of Robinson College.
Lord Lewis's research has resulted in significant developments in the chemistry of the d-transition metals, including in the areas of organometallic and cluster chemistry, and synthesis and characterisation of compounds with new magnetic properties. He received many accolades for his work including the Royal Society's Davy medal (1985) and the Royal Medal (2004).
His positive influence on science policy evolved through his active involvement in numerous committees including, but not limited to, the NATO Scientific Committee, the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution and the Environmental Industries Commission. He received his knighthood in 1982, sat on the Advisory Council for the Campaign for Science and Engineering, and was a member of the House of Lords where he was a member of Select Committees on Science and Technology.
He was President of the Royal Society of Chemistry from 1986-88, and made an Honorary Fellow in 1988. He died in 2014 at the age of 86.
We would like to thank Johnson Matthey for their generous support of the award.