The Historical Group is one of the RSC's many Interest Groups. The Interest Groups are member driven groups which exist to benefit RSC members, and the wider chemical science community, in line with the RSC's strategy and charter.
- The Group exists to encourage an interest in the history of chemistry and chemical industry among members of the RSC and others.
- The Group maintains contact with the Society for the History of Alchemy and Chemistry (SHAC), and with the historical groups of the Institute of Physics (IoP), the American Chemical Society (ACS), and the European Chemical Society (EuChemS).
- The Group holds twice yearly meetings when academic papers are presented and discussed (see Forthcoming Events link).
- The Group publishes a twice yearly newsletter which includes short articles on the history of chemistry, book reviews and reports of its meetings, in addition to news items and information on future events.
- The Group also publishes other publications, primarily a series of Occasional Papers, edited texts of lectures on the history of chemistry (see Other publications link).
We are always looking for new members who are keen to get involved and to help organise our activities. If you would like to find out more please contact the Secretary.
Professor John Nicholson EurChem CSci CChem FRSC
Keeping in touch
The Group issues e-alerts which give links to group events and recently published newsletters and other publications.
Hardcopy newsletters are available to a minority of members who have requested them.
Members who do not think that they are receiving the communications they expect should contact the Membership Secretary.
Any member who thinks that their membership of the group may have lapsed should contact the Membership Department.
Professor Bill Griffith CChem FRSC
Join this Interest Group
If you are a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry and would like to join an Interest Group, please contact Membership Department using the email link below with:
- your name
- your membership number
- state the name of the group you wish to join
Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WF
Tel: +44 (0) 1223 432 141