Ronald Belcher Award
The Ronald Belcher Award is given for work on an analytical topic, by a current post-graduate student (at close of nominations - 31 January) of a British or Irish University.
This Award was not awarded for 2019.
- Run annually
- The winner receives £500 and a certificate
- The winner will be required to present his/her work at an event where they will be presented with their award
- The winner will be chosen by the RSC Analytical Division Awards Committee
Guidelines for Nominators
- Nominations open on 01 October
- Nominations close on 15 January
- Only RSC Members can nominate for this award
- Nominees may NOT nominate themselves
- This award is open to current post-graduate students of British and Irish universities only
- When nominating previous RSC prize or award winners, please remember that a person cannot be awarded twice for substantially the same body of work
To make a nomination please use our online awards nominations system to submit the following:
- Your name, contact details, and membership number (please contact the RSC Membership team if you do not know your membership details)
- The nominee's name and contact details
- An up to date CV for the nominee (no longer than one A4 side, 11pt text) which should include their date of birth, summary of education and career and total numbers of publications and patents
- A supporting statement (up to 4500 characters, not including spaces) addressing the selection criteria
- A short citation describing what the nominee should be awarded for. This must be no longer than 250 characters (not including spaces) and ideally no longer than one sentence
- A copy of 1 research paper by the nominee
- The names and contact details of two referees. Please inform referees of the nomination as the awards system will contact them as soon as the application is submitted. Referees may include the nominee's post-doc or PhD supervisor
- Referees must provide reports by 31 January
- We will contact nominators and referees of nominees with outstanding references one week after close of nominations on 16 January once only.
Selection Criteria for RSC Awards
Our selection committees base their evaluations primarily on the overall quality of relevant contributions made by nominees and not simply on quantitative measures.
The selection committee(s) will consider the following aspects of all nominations for scientific research Awards as appropriate:
- Originality of research
- Impact of research
- Quality of publications and/or patents and/or software
- Professional standing
- Collaborations and teamwork
- Other indicators of esteem indicated by the nominee/nominator
Guidelines for Referees
- The awards system will contact referees to inform them that they must provide reports (of up to 4500 characters, not including spaces) by 31 January.
- We will contact nominators and referees of nominees with outstanding references after one week after close of nominations on 15 January once only.
- Referees must state their relationship (if any) with the nominee and note any conflicts of interest.
Analytical Division Awards Committee
- Duncan Graham, University of Strathclyde (Chair)
- G. John Langley, University of Southampton
- Tony Cass, Imperial College London
- Kirsty Penkman, University of York
- Tony Bristow, AstraZeneca
1985 - present
Submit your nomination
Submit your nomination online
Deadline for nominations is 15 January 2019. Your nomination can be saved and completed at any time.
External links will open in a new browser window
Contact and Further Information
Royal Society of Chemistry, Thomas Graham House, Cambridge Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WF
Tel: +44 (0)1223 420066