The Surface Coatings Interest Group is one of the Royal Society of Chemistry's many Interest Groups. The Interest Groups are member driven groups which exist to benefit RSC members, and the wider chemical science community, in line with the RSC's strategy and charter.
Coatings have been part of our lives since man first painted his cave walls. These humble beginnings have evolved into diverse and exciting technologies incorporating paints, inks, adhesives, elastomers and sealants. The range of applications is forever expanding to include protective coatings on space craft to children’s face paints.
The surface coatings industry is unique in the range of areas of chemistry:
- material science
- colour science
- surface science
This special interest group provides a network for members at any stage in their career with an interest in chemistry and natural sciences applied to surface coatings. The members participate in many different aspects of the industry, from basic research and raw materials development through to formulation and applications research. The group is well represented by people with roles in general management, sales and technical services, consultancy, training and recruitment, regulations and testing.
Aims and Objectives
- To reach a broad community representing the diversity of the sector from across academia and industry.
- To provide a professional development network across the various career stages within the sector (including mentoring, recruitment support, career enhancement and development); connect with and support early-career stage members to build and enhance their professional networks.
- To support the sustainability of the future industry by inspiring the next generation of chemists through engagement with younger people at the appropriate stage of their career and also with teachers.
- To stimulate ideas and innovative thinking, benefitting from the breadth of science represented within the Group by sharing knowledge across the natural science disciplines and associated technologies.
- Opportunities for networking and learning via UK regional industry meetings and events
- Links with other related Interest Groups
How to Join
RSC members can join the Surface Coatings Group by updating their details in the “My communities and subscriptions” tab of the online RSC membership area. Please click here to login and add to your list of Interest Groups.
Forthcoming events organised by the Surface Coatings Group.
Contact the Secretary
For further information on the Surface Coatings Group you can contact the Secretary, Dr Laura Merritt MRSC.
Support for interest groups
Useful information and resources for all RSC interest groups.
Oil & Colour Chemists' Association
Information about the Oil and Colour Chemists' Association.
British Coatings Federation (BCF)
Information about the British Coatings Federation.
British Association for Adhesives & Sealants (BASA)
Information about the British Assiciation for Adhesives and Sealants.
Information about Radtech Europe.
Tom Bowtell MRSC
Dr Laura Merritt MRSCContact the secretary
Ian Hay FRSC